Friday 27 June 2014

Day of the Tentacle - CDROM

I had some bad experiences with adventure games in the 1980s, both text and graphic adventures that stopped me dead in my tracks by either having a puzzle so obscure as to be unsolveable or a puzzle that require the exact parser for the puzzle to be solved. I recall once adventure game that had a word incorrectly spelt in the parser, meaning you could only solve the puzzle by mispelling the object.

Well all that changed with Lucasarts which remapped the adventure gaming scene with Manic Mansion. I did play it, and its follow up Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders but it was only the adventure The Secret of Monkey Island did graphic adventure games become fun to play and laugh out loud funny as well.

Day of the Tentacle is essentially Manic Mansion 2. I had been meaning to play this for many years since I downloaded and install SCUMMVM (the Script Creation Utility for Manic Mansion Virtual Machine), essentially an emulator for running any of the SCUMM games and others.

Whilst some of the humour had dwindled, the spark and ingenuity hadnt, and puzzles and problems I had deliberated on for days came back to me very quickly.

Im looking forward to finding the time to play through the Sam and Max Hit the Road CD-ROM as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment