Sunday 22 May 2016

If I Ran a Retro - Gaming Store pt1 - Stock

If I Ran my own Retro - Gaming Store there are quite a few things I would do differently.
There are 3 types of customer
Regular Visitors/Collectors - usually local
Casual Visitors/Collectors - not as local but still a customer
Online Customers
Each one requires a different approach and also feeding of information.
When new stock comes in not everything would go on the shelf. Stock rotation is essential and a big haul of stock requires careful planning as to what goes in the shop and what stays in the stock room.
Something CEX would do well to bear in mind, you need only stock 1 copy of a game on the shelf for it to sell. Having 10 copies of FIFA 2002 just looks desperate.
I would cultivate a relationship with all collectors so I knew their wants.
Most retro shops I have visited seem to have a feast or famine approach to stock which seems to be unique to this industry. By holding some stock back it ensures the regular visitors are catered for, plus you get to tell them in advance of stock items which will be coming in "next week" and the irregular visitors are guaranteed to get to see something worth the trip.
Those stock items that take a while to shift I would put on eBay to free up shelf space for quality and genuinely collectible games.

No comments:

Post a Comment